Finding the right side dish is one of my biggest challenges when it comes to putting together a meal. This is especially true when I am entertaining. I don’t want the dish to be too complicated or time consuming yet I usually want it to be something more than a simple grain or starch. If it can be made ahead of time it is even better since that frees me up to spend time with my guests. Enter this roasted sweet potato salad from Williams Sonoma.
This salad is the perfect accompaniment to grilled meats and chicken. It can be made ahead of time or at the last minute. The combination of maple syrup, lime juice and cilantro is intriguing without being overpowering and the crunch pecans give the dish additional texture and complexity. Simply put, it is delicious and has become a new side dish staple in my house. Enjoy!
ROASTED SWEET POTATO SALAD
3 pounds sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1/2 cup minced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat an oven to 400°F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Place the potatoes on a large rimmed baking pan, drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt and stir to coat.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender when pierced, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, maple syrup and the remaining olive oil.
- Add the hot roasted sweet potatoes to the lime juice mixture along with the pecans, green onions and cilantro.
- Stir well and season with additional salt and the pepper.
- Serve immediately, or let cool to room temperature and stir again just before serving.
Serves 4 to 6