A fun, easy and delicious family friendly meal? Yes, that is what you have with the fun pasta dish courtesy of Cuisine at Home. There is really something for everyone in this dish. Kids loved the “frizzled” prosciutto which is essentially strip of prosciutto that have been cooked until they are crispy. A healthy dose of both yellow squash and zucchini ensure that there are vegetables in every bite while the mild white wine and cream sauce disguises the squashes from vegetable adverse dinners. But for me the best part is the combination of the fresh basil, mint and lemon zest that tops the entire dish. There are truly so many flavors in one bowl that everyone is sure to leave the table happy.
SUMMER SQUASH PASTA w/ FRIZZLED PROSCIUTTO
8 ounces small dried pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces prosciutto, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon zest
Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of water according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until crisp. Transfer to a paper lined plate to drain.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet. Add the onion, zucchini and yellow squash. Cook until the onion softens, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine and cook until it is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and pasta, tossing to coat. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Off the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese, basil, mint, lemon zest and prosciutto.
- Add the reserved pasta water if necessary to thin the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.