Here is a fun twist on a classic dish courtesy of Cuisine at Home. Stroganoff is using made with beef in a rich and creamy sauce but here things are changed up a bit. A combination of chicken and kielbasa give this dish a whole new dimension as does the flavorful combination of Canjun inspired seasonings. The dish is really full of flavor and best of all, it is easy and fast.
But if you are really pressed for time, do as I do on occasion: prepare the dish as directed but stop before you add the sour cream. When you are ready to eat simply reheat the dish, adding additional chicken broth if necessary. When the meat is heated through, continue by stirring in the sour cream and voila, dinner is served.
CAJUN CHICKEN STROGANOFF
1/2 lb dry wide egg noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 ounces kielbasa, sliced
10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry sherry
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
6 tablespoons sliced scallions
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet set over medium-high heat, saute the kielbasa and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of the oil. Stirring regularly, cook for 5 minutes or until the kielbasa and mushrooms are browned on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper, salt, basil, thyme, oregano and flour in a small bowl.
- Dust the chicken the the flour and spice mixture.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and add the chicken to the pan.
- Saute the chicken for 5 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- Push the chicken to one side of the pan then add the tomato paste and garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry, simmering until it is nearly evaporated.
- Add in the broth, Worcestershire sauce and kielbasa-mushroom mixture.
- Return the pan to a simmer and reduce and cook until the liquid has been reduced by half, about 5 additional minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles and garnish with scallions.Serves 6