It is Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing you want to do to cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Here is another satisfying and delicious soup idea that is adapted from the Noble Pig. The soup includes spicy sausage (substitute sweet or mild Italian sausages if you prefer) and tender tortellini in a herb filled tomato broth. And don’t forget the croutons since they are really the finishing touch for the soup. Feel free to use slightly stale bread or a different combination of herbs if desired.
SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP w/ GARLIC CROUTONS
For the soup:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage links, cut into bite sized pieces
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried red chili peppers
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
10 ounces fresh spinach and cheese tortellini
4 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring frequently until cooked through and browned on all sides. Move to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and saute until soft; about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, sugar, chili peppers, pepper and salt to a large, heavy bottomed soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the onion-garlic mixture and simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook according to package directions, usually about 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked sausage and stir in spinach until just wilted.
- Serve immediately topped with the garlic croutons.
To make the croutons:
- While the soup is simmering, melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium-high until foamy.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, basil, thyme and paprika to the butter.
- Add the bread cubes and toss until well coated.
- Reduce the heat to medium and tossing frequently, cook until the bread is crusty and toasted on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes.