Are you looking for a last minute treat to complete your Fourth of July bar-be-que? Do you need something that will be a hit with kids and adults alike? Are you pressed for time? If you answered yes to any, or all, of these questions, then these ridiculously easy chocolate coated pretzel rods are exactly what you are looking for.
These pretzel rods have become a favorite treat of mine. I’m a huge fan on sweet and salty with the salt crystals on the pretzels providing just the right amount of contrast for the sweetness of the chocolate. And you needn’t limit yourself to making these for the Fourth of July. You can switch out the colored sprinkles for other holidays and use dark or milk chocolate instead of white if you prefer. For Halloween I used dark chocolate with orange sugar crystals, at Christmas time the red, white and blue becomes red and green and so forth. You might want to double, or even triple your recipe since these sticks have been known to disappear quickly.
WHITE CHOCOLATE DIPPED PRETZEL RODS
12 salt covered pretzel rods
4 ounces white chocolate, broken into small pieces
1/4 cup multi-colored sprinkles (I used red, white and blue ones)
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Place the chocolate into a small, heat proof bowl and set atop a double boiler. Stir gently as the chocolate melts, heating until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Place the sprinkles on a flat plate.
- Working with one pretzel rod at a time, dip each pretzel into the melted chocolate, swirling until 3/4 of the rod is covered with the chocolate.
- Roll the chocolate covered rod into the sprinkles, carefully shaking to remove excess sprinkles.
- Lay the chocolate covered pretzel on the prepared baking sheet and allow to sit until the chocolate is completely set.
- The pretzels are best if served within a couple of hours of dipping.
Yields: 12 pretzel rods