I’ve always loved quesadillas. Whether there are simply made with whatever cheese you have on hand and eaten like a grilled cheese sandwich or filled with interesting ingredients like these caramelized onions and mushrooms, they are an easy snack, appetizer, or even light dinner. They are that versatile. I love making them for my family. I can adjust the fillings to please even the most finicky of palates.
But, one of my all time favorite fillings is the combination of mushrooms, onions, and cheese. The mushrooms and onions are best when cooked down slowly. If you are pressed for time you can always cook the vegetables ahead of time then pop them into the tortillas when you are ready to make the quesadillas. Yum!
CHEDDAR & PORTOBELLO QUESADILLAS
4 small flour tortillas
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pinches salt, divided
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 small portobello mushrooms, sliced
8 slices sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sour cream (for serving if desired)
- Place two tablespoons of the olive oil in a small saute pan set over medium-low heat.
- Add the sliced onions and 1 pinch of salt.
- Saute, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft and lightly browned. about 15 to 20 minutes. Add a small amount of water if necessary to keep the onions from sticking. Set aside.
- Place the remaining olive oil in another small saute pan set over medium-low heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and the remaining pinch of salt.
- Saute, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft, browned and have released their liquid, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Set a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, lightly coat it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Reduce the temperature to medium.
- Place one tortilla in the center of the pan and lay 2 slices of cheese in the center of the tortilla.
- Add half of the onions and half of mushrooms, evenly distributing them over the top of the tortilla.
- Top with 2 more slices of cheese and another tortilla.
- Cook until the tortilla is lightly browned and toasted and the cheese has begun to melt, 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the tortilla and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Slice the tortilla into four wedges and serve with sour cream if desired.
Yields: 8 tortilla wedges