Zucchini are everywhere this time of year. You can bake it, steam it and turn it into desserts. I’ve always been a fan of zucchini bread. After all, the addition of shredded zucchini ensures that your bread is moist and flavorful. And if a plain zucchini bread is good, one infused with chocolate is even better. This recipe is adapted from Once Upon A Chef and is moist, rich and filled with chocolate making it more of a decadent dessert than a quick bread.
Brown sugar adds depth to the bread as dose a touch of instant coffee which only enhances the chocolate flavor. And the addition of chocolate chips ensures that every bite is just that much more chocolatey. If you don’t tell anyone they won’t even know that the bread is packed with a vegetable. This bread is sure to disappear so why not make two loaves instead of one? After all, zucchinis really are plentiful right now.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 cups shredded zucchini, gently packed
1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave proof bowl until just melted.
- Stir in the brown sugar until completely smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until incorporated.
Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and instant coffee in a medium bowl.
- Add to the butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
Yields: 1 loaf