I love this cake from the Reluctant Entertainer. First of all, it is a one bowl cake that is so easy to make; it really comes together in a matter of minutes. If you choose to serve it as part of a brunch (as I do), simply take your butter out of the refrigerator the night before and it will be the perfect consistency for creaming in the morning. The yogurt ensures that the cake is moist and flavorful. When raspberries are in season use them and you will have the perfect summery cake. I’ve also made this cake with blueberries as well and they are just as good. You can use just about any fresh fruit, just make sure it is perfectly ripe since the fruit is center stage with this cake. Enjoy!
RASPBERRY YOGURT CAKE
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, for the berries
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon. almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups fresh raspberries, or fresh fruit of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray then set aside.
- Combine the butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt and almond extract in a large mixing mow. Beat with an electric mixer until just combined.
- Add in the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredient into the batter until just combined.
- In a small bowl combined the berries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Sprinkle the sugared raspberries over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake plate.
Yields: 12 slices