Tomatoes are plentiful now and while it is tempting to eat them as is out of the garden sometimes you want a little more. And at the end of a hot day who wants to spend a lot of time in the kitchen fussing over dinner? (or any meal for that matter). So why not try this easy tomato and ricotta tart? With only a few ingredients, this tart is easy and as a added bonus, you can pre-bake the shell earlier in the day then put the dish together right before serving.
Choose the best tomatoes you can find, either a single type or go for a variety, since they really are the highlight of this dish. I’ve become a huge fan of making my own ricotta cheese but you can also use whichever brand you prefer. And for the crust? Either make your own or use a pre-made one. I like to make it even easier and make a free form crust rather than fussing with a tart plate. However you make it, this is a delicious and easy dish. Enjoy!
TOMATO & RICOTTA TART
1 single pie crust
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese, either purchased or homemade
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
For the crust:
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick and transfer to an un-greased baking sheet.
- Using your fingers crimp the edges of the crust to form an outer ridge. You don’t have be to exact but try to keep the crust in a circle formation. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until it is light brown on all sides. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the filling:
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, basil and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a small spatula spread the cheese mixture over the top of the prepared tart shell.
- Arrange the tomatoes over the top of the cheese.
- Return the tart to the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes and cheese are warm.
- Serve immediately.