Summer isn’t quite over and there is still time to grab what I consider to be the quintessential summer vegetable–fresh corn on the cob. The best corn on the cob is picked and eaten within a few hours and it is so sweet that neither butter nor salt is needed. And if you have your own garden or easy access to a farm, you just might be able to partake in this freshest of fresh endeavors. But those of us who aren’t so fortunate needn’t despair since tasty fresh corn on cob is still available in most markets this time of year. Corn on the cob is tasty when simply boiled or steamed and is delicious when grilled with olive oil and fresh herbs. But if you want to dress the corn up further why not go all out?
I’ve adapted this recipe from The Splendid Table and this takes an ear of corn to a whole new level. The corn is drenched in melted butter as it is grilled which infuses the corn with a sweet and slightly charred flavor. A thick coating of tangy creme fraise helps the freshly grated parmesan cheese adhere to the ears which are then dusted with chili powder. This corn is so good that it is often the main attraction on the plate. I like to serve it with a simple grilled meat that allows the corn to really shine. And as an added bonus the corn toppings are so delicious that they can turn a ho-hum ear into something fabulous. How can you not try this?
6 ears fresh sweet corn, husks removed
1 /2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups creme fraiche
About 3 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup medium hot chili powder
1 lime, cut into six wedges
- Place the corn on a medium-high grill. Using tongs to turn the ears, grill the corn for 8 to 10 minutes, brushing generously with butter with each turn.
- Remove the corn to a platter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the creme friche on a shallow plate and the cheese on another plate.
- When the corn is cool enough to touch, roll it in the creme fraise, draining off the excess.
- Roll the creme fraise coated ears in the grated parmesan cheese then sprinkle evenly with the chili powder.
- Serve immediately with the lime wedges.