If you love bacon and the combination of sweet and savory the way I do, you are sure to become a fan of this dish. Courtesy of Cuisine at Home magazine, I can’t decide if these skewers make better appetizers or desserts. Since the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate are foiled by the saltiness of the bacon, you can place the skewers upright in a glass and place them on a buffet table as a part of a brunch feast or serve them individually as a part of an appetizer plate. These skewers can also make a surprise appearance on a dessert plate alongside a fruit salad. Or, if you are feeling truly decadent, you can eat them as is for a lazy weekend mid-afternoon treat. However you serve them they are sure to disappear so be sure the cook gets his or her share.
Do be sure to use a thick cut bacon since thinner slices are more apt to burn and won’t give you enough surface area for your caramel and chocolate to adhere to and as always, use the best quality of chocolate you can find. You will notice the difference.
BACON SKEWERS w/ CARAMEL & GANACHE
For the bacon:
1 pound thick sliced bacon (about 14 slices)
14 wooden skewers
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Weave each piece of bacon onto a wooden skewer and place on the prepared broiler pan.
- Place the bacon in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each skewer over and return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Transfer the bacon skewers to a parchment lined baking sheet and set aside while you make the caramel.
For the caramel:
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Place the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the cream and boil for an additional 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle each bacon skewer with the caramel.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to allow the caramel to set while you make the ganache.
For the ganache:
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 ounces good quality milk chocolate, chopped
- Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped chocolate.
- Let the mixture sit for 3-4 minutes then whisk the chocolate into the cream until it is smooth.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the second side of each bacon skewer.
- Allow the chocolate to set then serve.
Yields: 14 skewers