For the cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe banana (the riper, the better)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
For the icing:
3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter together using an electric mixer; add the brown sugar, beating well until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add eggs and banana to the butter mixture and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture into batter, stirring well until combined.
- Fold the pecans and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To make the icing, combine the confectioner’s sugar with the melted butter, vanilla extract and milk, stirring until smooth.
- Once the cookies have cooled, drizzle with the icing.
Yields: 36 cookies