Christmas is twelve days (gulp) away and what better way is there to countdown to the big event than to feature a cookie recipe each day? Think of it as a cookie recipe advent calendar. And to fill that advent calendar I’m featuring twenty five of my favorite holiday cookie recipes that are sure to fill your holidays with cheer. Bake them to fill your cookie trays, bring them to a cookie swap or eat them yourself; they are guaranteed to bring about holiday joy. And if you love baking as much as I do, making them is a fun filled gift unto itself. Enjoy!
Cranberries are a quintessential holiday fruit and and when you pair them with a bit of orange zest you have a sure winner of a holiday cookie. I absolutely adore this cookies from King Arthur Flour. Filled with cranberries, orange zest and toasted pecans, they are chewy and crunchy, sweet and tart….well they are simply delicious. And best of all they are super easy and quick to make. Exactly what you are looking for with Christmas just days away.
grated peel of 1 medium to large orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, orange peel, vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in the egg. The mixture may look slightly curdled; that’s OK.
- Add the flour, cranberries and nuts, stirring until well combined.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2″ between them. Using the flat bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, flatten the cookies slightly, to a scant 1/2″ thick.
- Bake the cookies for 6 to 7 minutes, until they’re barely set, and a light golden brown around the edges. Don’t over-bake; if you do, the cookies will be hard, not soft and chewy. Gently lift one of the cookies and look at the bottom; it shouldn’t be brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool them right on the pan. If you need a pan to bake the remainder of the cookies, give the cookies about 5 minutes to set before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies.