Christmas is just five days (gulp) away and what better way is there to countdown to the big event than to feature a cookie recipe each day? Think of it as a cookie recipe advent calendar. And to fill that advent calendar I’m featuring twenty five of my favorite holiday cookie recipes that are sure to fill your holidays with cheer. Bake them to fill your cookie trays, bring them to a cookie swap or eat them yourself; they are guaranteed to bring about holiday joy. And if you love baking as much as I do, making them is a fun filled gift unto itself. Enjoy!
Here’s another one of my holiday favorites. These bite sized cookies from King Arthur Flour are easy and fun for kids to make while being sophisticated enough for even the most refined of adult palates. I rolled my cookies in shredded coconut but finely chopped nuts would work just as well. The cookie filling is jam so you can be flexible and use whichever flavors you prefer. For a colorful contrast I used strawberry and apricot but fig, blueberry, and pineapple preserves are also good. Perhaps you need to make a double batch and experiment.
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup almond flour
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup jam, jelly, or preserves of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until very light.
- Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the almond flour and all-purpose flour, stirring until well blended.
- Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy. Place the shredded coconut on a plate.
- Break off bits of dough and roll between your hands to form 1 inch balls. Dip the ball in the egg whites then roll in the coconut.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Use our thumb to form an indentation in the top of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 16 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Fill the thumbprint with jam, using about 1/2 teaspoon per cookie.
Yields: 5 dozen cookies