Not all winter cooking needs to be heavy in order to be satisfying. Case in point is this lemon filled chicken dish from Cooking Light. Because the boneless chicken breasts are flattened slightly before cooking this is a quick meal that is perfect for a mid-week dinner. It contains some of my favorite pantry staples–mushrooms, green beans, potatoes and lemons. The lemon brightens the dish which the potatoes and green beans mean you have an entire dinner in a single dish. Simply put, it is delicious and has become a family favorite.
LEMON SKILLET CHICKEN
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, and simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the oil to pan. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken and thyme sprigs to pan; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is browned.
- Flip the chicken. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken from pan.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet.
- Add the potatoes, cut sides down, the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon thyme; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring once.
- Combine the milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add the remaining salt, remaining pepper, flour mixture, stock, lemon, and beans to the pan and simmer for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley.