This is another tasty cake courtesy of From Away, my latest, go-to food blog. The combination of olive oil, rosemary, and chocolate is intriguing and surprisingly good. The cake comes together quickly making it a perfect ending to a weeknight dinner where dessert is a necessity. The ingredients are also staples in my kitchen and combined with our rosemary bushes in the garden, I will never have an excuse for not making the cake. I cautiously served the cake at our dinner last night—I am always hesitant to try out a new recipe on guests— but it was a hit. Even the children ate it; it probably helped that they ate it so quickly that they didn’t have time to see the little green flecks in the cake!
ROSEMARY OLIVE OIL CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, very finely chopped
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prepare an 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Pre heat an oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer thoroughly beat the eggs, add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Fold in the rosemary with a spatula.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake, 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate over medium heat.
- In a small saucepan, warm the cream over medium low heat. Stir the cream into the melted chocolate until the mixture is thick and shiny.
- When the cake is completely cooled, pour the ganache over the cake and smooth with a spatula.