With our busy schedules, weeknight dinners need to be fast. From refrigerator to table and yes even clean up, during the week I don’t have a lot of time to fuss over preparations. There are bonus points for dishes that are truly delicious and loved by everyone in the family. And as the cook and pan washer it is even better when the entire meal can be cooked in a single pan. And that is why this super fast and tasty dish from Cooking Light has quickly become an all around family favorite.
Preparation is fast and when I use my cast iron skillet cooking and clean up is a breeze. The chicken is seared on the outside then it finishes cooking in the oven ensuring that the meat is juicy and flavorful. And my family loves spicy flavors so the peppers and cilantro are palate pleasers. You can adjust these seasonings to satisfy your own palates. Any way you cook it, this is a delicious midweek keeper.
AVOCADO SKILLET CHICKEN
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil to pan, swirling to coat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt, the black pepper, and the chili powder.
- Add the chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over; cook 1 minute. Remove chicken from pan.
- Coat pan with cooking spray and increase the heat to high.
- Sprinkle the avocados with the sugar.
- Add the avocados to the pan, placing them cut side down. Cook for 2 minutes or until charred. Remove avocados from pan.
- Re-coat pan with cooking spray. Add the red onions; cook 3 minutes or until charred. Turn the red onions; add green onions and poblano, cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Separate the red onions into rings and toss with green onions and poblano.
- Stir in the lime juice and the soy sauce.
- Return the chicken and the avocado to the pan, nestling it between the onion mixture.
- Place the pan in oven and bake for 7 minutes or until chicken is done.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine sour cream and water in a small bowl until thinned to a saucy consistency.
- Drizzle sour cream mixture over chicken and avocados.
- Garnish with the cilantro and lime wedges as well as the remaining salt and paprika.