It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
I love soup and here’s a classic Italian soup that is both delicious and fast. I like to use a spicy Italian sausage but you can also use a milder version if you prefer. Kale is my green of choice but spinach or beet greens are also tasty. Use whatever you like and whatever looks good or even use a combination of greens. All you need is some crusty bread and dinner is served.
ZUPPA TOSCANA SOUP
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp crushed red peppers
1 red onion, diced
1/3 cup pancetta
4 garlic cloves, crushed
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
3 large red potatoes, skin on and sliced
1/4 pound fresh greens of your choice, I prefer kale or spinach
- Sauté the sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot, using a wooden spoon to crumble the meat into smaller pieces. Drain off the excess fat, move the meat to a separate plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the pancetta, onions and garlic over medium-low heat until the onions are soft and translucent
- Add the chicken broth and water to the pot, raise the heat to medium-high and cook until the mixture starts to boil.
- Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Lower the heat, add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
- Return the sausage to the pan then add the kale, let all heat through and serve.