I love cinnamon buns but sometimes there simply isn’t enough time in the morning for the mixing, rising, rolling, sitting and baking that is required of the dough. But not to fear; when the craving strikes but time is of the essence I make these cinnamon bun inspired muffins that are adapted from King Arthur Flour. They are truly the best of both worlds. You get the tender crumb of a buttermilk muffin filled with all of the cinnamon and brown sugar goodness you find in your favorite cinnamon bun. Cinnamon comes in three forms in these muffins. A generous amount of cinnamon chips fill the dough while there is a layer of cinnamon infused brown sugar in the center of each muffin. If that isn’t enough, more cinnamon is sprinkled over the tops before they are baked.
If you love cinnamon these are definitely the muffins for you. They are so delicious that my son has declared them to be “the best muffins ever”.
CINNAMON BUN MUFFINS
For the filling:
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a small microwave proof dish.
- Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon until combined.
- Set aside.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
For the batter:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup lukewarm buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups cinnamon chips
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake papers and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the chips.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Divide half the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Dollop 2 teaspoons cinnamon filling onto each muffin.
- Top with the remaining batter.
- Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and wait 5 minutes before transferring them from the pan to a rack to cool.
Yields: 12 muffins