10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1½ teaspoons pure lemon extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup powdered sugar
8 ounces dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest using an electric mixer set on medium speed.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice and lemon extract mixing thoroughly to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing until just incorporated and scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Place the powdered sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop 1½ tablespoon sized cookie dough balls and roll them in the powdered sugar.
- Place the cookies on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes until the cookies are just golden.
- Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the dark chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of boiling water. Stir gently until the chocolate is melted and liquid.
- Using a narrow spatula or a knife, spread the melted chocolate over the bottom half of a cookie then top with another cookie. Set aside until the chocolate is firm.
Yields: 20 sandwich cookies