Muffins are a favorite breakfast treat at my house. Fresh from the oven they make for a warm and delicious meal on a lazy weekend morning yet they can easily be reheated for a quick breakfast on the go during the week. The options of what you put in your muffins are endless but my go-to ingredient time after time is blueberries.
This recipe from Boston’s Flour Bakery has become my go-to recipe for blueberry muffins. The muffins always turn out big and fluffy, filled with flavor and berry goodness. I always prefer using fresh to frozen but frozen berries will do in a pinch. If you can find wild blueberries, choose them as they are smaller and sweeter than their cultivated cousins. Yum!
3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg yolk
1 ½ cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup milk, at room temperature
1 cup crème fraîche, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk until thoroughly mixed.
- Slowly whisk in the sugar, butter, milk, crème fraîche, and vanilla until well-combined.
- Pour the butter-sugar mixture into the flour mixture and, using a rubber spatula, fold gently just until the ingredients are combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until evenly distributed. The batter may seem lumpy, but don’t try to smooth it out.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing it evenly and filling the cups until they are almost overflowing.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown on top and spring back when pressed in the middle with a fingertip.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan.
Yields 12 large muffins or 24 mini muffins