It’s Fast Friday again and time for another fast and fabulous dinner suggestion. If you are anything like me, by the time Friday rolls around the last thing I want to do is cook a big meal yet we all still have to eat. The dishes featured in this series aren’t necessarily fancy but they bring together simple ingredients most people already have in their pantries or have easy access to and allow you to put a real meal on the table in between 30 and 45 minutes. Enjoy and if you have your own fast recipes you want to share, please send them my way and I will in turn share them with all of my readers.
Entree salads are a favorite summer time dinner. When topped with protein they are cool, crisp and completely satisfying. For me, the trick to keeping salads interesting is continually changing up the ingredients. This salad is built around what is good at the markets this time of year and peaches top that list. Grilling them gives them a slightly charred flavor which complements the steak. Peppers and tomatoes add to the salad’s texture while the blue cheese and sunflower seeds add interest. I’ve kept the seasonings for both the steak and the dressing simple as to not detract from the freshness of the fruit and vegetables. Add other vegetables if you want; after all the key to a good salad is one that includes the toppings you want.
GRILLED PEACH & STEAK SALAD
2 rib eye steaks, trimmed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 peaches, halved and pitted
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
8 cups mixed greens
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Pre-heat a grill to high heat and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with the garlic powder, half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- Sprinkle the cut sides of the peaches with the nutmeg.
- Reduce the grill temperature to medium-high then place the steak on the grill. Cook the steaks, turning after 6 minutes, until they are cooked to your liking. Medium-rare takes approximately 9-11 minutes. Remove the steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing along the diagonal.
- Add the peaches to the grill, cut side down, and cook for 3 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes. You want the peaches to be slightly softened but not mushy.
- While the steaks cook, make the dressing by combining the honey, vinegar and remaining salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Divide the greens, peppers and tomatoes between two large shallow bowls.
- Top the salads with the sliced steak, drizzle with the dressing then sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and blue cheese.
- Serve immediately.