Salads make a great summer dinner but for me, they must be satisfying to eat and keep me full (so I don’t get the post-dinner munchies). We grill a lot in our household and most grilling nights I will throw an extra steak (or other protein) on the grill so I can turn it into a dinner salad for the next night. That makes the next night’s dinner even easier.
So here’s a spicy and satisfying dinner salad that I adapted from Williams Sonoma that fits the bill to a tee. The steak is mildly seasoned yet completely satisfying; you can serve it either hot off of the grill or cold. The lime juice makes the corn salsa tangy and the avocados temper the entire dish. Be forewarned: the chipolte dressing is smoky and spicy with quite a bit of heat so a little goes a long way. Of course, I love to pile the dressing on since in my mind there is rarely such a thing as too much heat.
CHIPOLTE BEEF & CORN SALAD
1 flank steak, about 1 1/4 pounds
1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup canned chipolte chiles in adobo sauce
Juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon water
2 ears of corn, kernels removed
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
6 radishes, diced
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- Place the steak on a plate and sprinkle the adobo seasoning, salt and pepper on both sides of the meat. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the meat on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes per side or until the meat is cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Remove the steak from the grill and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Slice the meat into 1/2 inch slices against the grain.
- To make the dressing, combine the chipolte chiles, the olive oil, juice of 1 lime, vinegar, garlic and water into a small bowl. Using a stick blender, puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the corn, orange and green peppers, radishes and tomatoes.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining lime over the corn mixture, add the cilantro and stir well.
- Divide the lettuce amongst four plates. Place 3 slices of steak on top of each pile of lettuce. Add a scoop of the salsa.
- Divide the avocado amongst the plates then drizzle the salad with the chipolte dressing.
- Serve immediately.