Some of My Favorite Restaurants
- Lezhe, Albania– The Slow Food movement comes to Albania at Mrizi i Zanave
- Shkoder, Albania- Tradite; whatever the kitchen is cooking is good; the house made blackberry liquor is potent but good
- Tirana, Albania- Era; very good traditional Albanian food and good thin crust pizza with interesting by Albania’s standards toppings
- Tirana, Albania– Sofra e Ariut; consistently good traditional food served by costumed waiters who understand good customer service
- Amherst, MA, USA- Atkins Farms Country Market; cider donuts!!!!!
- Amherst, MA, USA- Judie’s; the best (and biggest) popovers ever
- Hamburg & Nuremburg Germany, The Block House; steaks and baked potatoes make this a little piece of home when we are far away
- Norfolk, VA, USA– Byrd & Baldwin Bros Steakhouse; traditional, classy, and delicious
- Northampton, MA, USA- Sylvesters; the best overstuffed omelets around
- Portland, ME, USA- Hot Suppa; amazing omelets any time of the day
- Rockport, ME, USA– Salt Water Farm Cafe; fresh and simple food prepared with local ingredients (served with a great view of the harbor)
- Washington D.C. USA- Chef Geoff’s; fun food in a prime location
- Washington, D.C. USA- Old Ebbitt Grill; old Washington but too often mobbed with tourists
- Arlington, VA, USA- Thaiphoon; great pad Thai
- Camden, ME, USA– Long Grain Restaurant; Amazing house made noodles (get the spicy version) and an extensive beer list
- Corfu, Greece– Ku-Ku-Tsi; sushi with a water view
- Horley, England-Curry Inn;the best butter chicken I’ve ever had; family friendly with amazing staff
- Leiden, The Netherlands- Sumatra House; Delicious Indonesian food spiced just right with incredibly attentive and friendly service.
- Lisbon, Portugal- Este Oeste Pizza & Sushi Cafe; Good sushi (and Italian too) served with a great view of the water. A gem.
- Mons, Belgium- La Grande Muraille; Fast service in a nice setting; best Chinese food in the area
- Namur, Belgium– Asia Garden; the best orange chicken I’ve ever had-crispy and juicy with and sweet and tangy orange sauce
- Northampton, MA, USA– Teapot; fresh sushi and the best miso soup. They deliver too!
- Sofia, Bulgaria–Happy Sushi; sushi, sushi, and more sushi with fun drinks to match
- Stuttgart, Germany- Floating Market; tasty Thai food. The red curry duck dishes were excellent.
- Vienna, Austria, Restaurant Siam, belly burning curry dishes just steps from the State Opera House.
- Colmar, France-Patisserie Chocolaterie Richon; Wonderful bread, baked treats and yes chocolates too.
- Garmisch, Germany- Pano Cafe; chocolate croissants that are out of this world.
- Krakow, Poland-Slodki Wentzl; everything chocolate with a view of Rynek Glowny
- Tirana, Albania– Patisserie Francaise; a complete surprise for Albania serving croissants, macaroons, and other tasty French treats.
- Achouffe, Belgium, Brasserie d’Achouffe; Brewery with attached restaurant featuring their own beer and regional specialities. Try the rabbit or pork both dressed with beer sauce. Outstanding.
- Brugge, Belgium, Fonteintje; Mussels steamed in Belgian ale, Belgian ale to drink all while sitting outside under the sun. It doesn’t get much better.
- Canterbury, England, Le Trappiste; Twenty plus pages of Belgian beers (along with their stories) plus really good stews and breads
- Gent/Ghent, Belgium, Restaurant De Witte Leeuw; Great Flemish stew and other local specialities. Eat outside overlooking the water.
- Mons, Belgium, La Cervoise; Fork tender steak cooked on a hot stone at your table and hundreds of beers to choose from. Delicious!
- Pipaix, Belgium, Brasserie Troll & Bush Dubuisson; outstanding tartiflette and other Belgian comfort foods with all of their own brews to wash it down.
- Poperinge, Belgium, De Strooyen Hen; a place locals eat with excellent fish stew.
- Thiun, Belgium, Les Caves de ‘Abbaye d’Aulne; Good food and beer prepared and served in the caves under the ruins of the abbey.
- Villers-la-Villes, Le Cave du Moulin; One of the best burgers I’ve ever had with a nice selection of beers.
- Lisbon, Portugal- Chopperia; Brazilian steak house where meat is king.
- Lisbon, Portugal- Time Out Mercado de Ribeira; An old market place transformed into a food hall with vendors serving freshly cooked local specialities. So much fun.
- Bucharest, Romania, Caru Cu Bere; traditional Romanian food with a great selection of beers
- Budapest, Hungary, 21 Hungarian Kitchen; traditional Hungarian fare in a tasteful location
- Dubrovnik, Croatia, Taj Mahal Dubrovnik; Bosnian food in a tiny restaurant in the heart of the old city. Well worth the wait for a table.
- Krakow, Poland, Hawelka; pierogi just like my nana’s
- Ljubjlana, Slovenia, Sokol; traditional cuisine in a traditional setting
- Prague, Czech Republic; U Tri Zlatych Hvezd; traditional cuisine with interesting architecture
- Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, Yantra Restaurant; Bulgarian food with an amazing view of the castle. The appetizers are particularly good
- Warsaw, Poland; Krokodyl; upscale Polish cuisine in the heart of Old Town
- Zagreb, Croatia, Vinodol Restaurant; Croatian cuisine in a nice setting
- Bucharest, Romania–Les Bourgeois; Creative salads and an impressive drink menu. The duck with orange salad is particularly good
- Lombise, Belgium- La Maison du Cocher; carefully prepared dishes in a quaint country setting.
- Paris, France– Brasserie Le Deux Palais; Great food with the perfect location for people watching
- Paris, France- Cafe Kleber; good food served in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- Paris, France– Fouquet’s; a classic French cafe dining experience
- Spa, Belgium– Le Relaise de la Sauveniere; along the Route des Fontains, excellent food is a slightly fussy atmosphere.
German, Austrian & Bavarian
- Berlin, Germany, Lindenbrau; Beers–lots of them–and good selection of traditional dishes. The roasted pork knuckle is particularly good.
- Collar, France, Schhwendi Bier Winstub; Try the roestis- potatoes and cheese that are the ultimate comfort food.
- Garmisch, Germany, Morhrenplatz; Traditional Bavarian food served in a casual atmosphere.
- Ginzburg, Germany, Brauereigasthof zur Munz; generous portions, tasty food and a great value. Family friendly too.
- Innsbruck, Austria, Stiftskeller; Bratwurst, gluhwein, and beer—what could be better?
- Landstuhl, Germany, Alt Landstuhl; A place where the locals go but we had a great meal.
- Lucerne, Switzerland, Rathaus Brauerei Luzern; Schnitzel and great brews
- Munich, Germany, Munchen’s Kleinste Gaststatte; casual dining in the heart of Viktualienmarkt
- Munich, Germany, Zum Durnbrau, traditional German brew house dating back to the 1400s. It is smaller and less touristy than its larger more popular neighbors.
- Springfield, MA, USA, The Student Prince; A local institution and family favorite serving hearty German food.
- Vianden, Luxembourg, Hot Stone Chalet; traditional Tyrolean dishes served with a view of the castle. Dine outside on the deck for the best view.
- Vienna, Austria. Altstadt Brau; Casual atmosphere tucked away on a back street serving tasty Austrian food. The schnitzel is great.
- Alexandria, VA, USA-Taverna Cretekou; reasonably priced Greek food; weather permitting dining in the back garden is the best option
- Corfu, Greece Pelagos; food with a view of how the other half lives; amazing
- Corfu Town, Greece– Aegli; Greek food right in the heart of the old city
- Edessa, Greece- Tabepna Stathmos; traditional food served outside by the old train station
- Kastraki, Greece- Ta Meteora; not fancy but simple, traditional, and delicious served outside under the trees
- Nottingham, United Kingdom- Yama’s Meze & Tapas; Greek food served in tapas sized portions. Friendly staff and amazing food.
- Thessaloniki, Greece– Ntope; an ouzarie with a view of the white tower
- Camden, Maine, USA- Camden Cone; a Mid-Coast classic
- Copenhagen, Denmark- Svaneke; rhubarb ice cream- need I say more?
- Dubrovnik, Croatia, Dubrava; red orange gelato!
- Norfolk, VA, USA– Strawberry Fields Smoothies & Gelato; unique flavors (think habanero infused chocolate, blood orange-mascarpone or sweet corn) custom made on site. Yum!
- Northampton, MA, USA- Herrell’s; the original homemade mix-in shop
- Siena, Italy– Caffe La Costarella; Some of the best coffee and chocolate gelato I’ve ever eaten
- Stuttgart, Germany– Old Bridge Gelateria; tasty with a variety of choices. Try the blood orange or the Nutella.
- Crieff, Scotland- The Gurkhas, interesting combination of Indian and Nepalese food.
- Guzburg, Germany- Safran, Delicious curry and butter chicken, very reasonable and family friendly.
- Hamburg, Germany- Shalimar; tucked away behind the Marriott Hamburg with a plush purple interior and amazing sweet lamb curry.
- Leuven, Belgium– de Lange Trappen;Not an Indian restaurant per se, but the best lamb tiki masala we’ve ever eaten in a restaurant. They also have a variety of other Indian and Belgian dishes.
- Ljubjlana, Slovenia– Namaste; simply the best Indian food I have eaten in a long time
- Mons, Belgium– La Porta du Taj Mahal; Extensive selection of lamb and chicken dishes but the fish Jeera is my favorite.
- Portland, ME, USA– Tandoor; tasty condiments
- Prague, Czech Republic– Indian Jewel Restaurant; spicy food in the heart of Old Prague
- Sofia, Bulgaria– Taj Mahal; some of the best Indian food I’ve eaten
- Warsaw, Poland- Bombaj Masala; spicy and tasty curries. The duck curry is especially good.
- Norfolk, VA, USA- Crackers; the original Norfolk tapas restaurant in our old neighborhood serving creative food washed down with even more creative martinis
- Rockland, Maine, USA– Cafe Miranda; vast menu where everything is good
- Stockholm, Sweden- JT Restaurang; a little of something for everyone
- Waldoboro, Maine, USA– Morse’s European Market; an unlikely gem in an even unlikelier location
- Zugsptize, Germany– Glaciergarden; interesting food pairings (potato pancakes with pears and rosemary is just an example) served with an amazing view.
- Budva, Montenegro, Regina E; pizza under the stars
- Camden, ME, USA, 40 Paper; innovative Italian food served in an old mill building. Grilled lamb chops and whole grilled trout are excellent
- Castellina, Italy, Ristorante Pestello; bread salad washed down with house Chianti–so simple and so good
- Cologne, Germany, La Tagliatella; handmade, heart shaped pumpkin filled ravioli with a truffle cream sauce.
- Copenhagen, Denmark, Il Peccato; fresh pasta and of course good pizza
- Crieff, Scotland-Delivino Wine Cafe; thin crust pizzas, fresh pasta and innovative salads
- Dubrovnik, Croatia, Oliva Pizzeria; fancy pizza in the old town
- Georgetown, Washington, DC, USA– Filomena Restaurante; favorite date location
- Greve, Italy- Gallo Nero; risotto to die for with an endless supply of lemoncello
- Horley, England-Da Peppino; fresh pastas and pizzas with welcoming staff
- Kaag, Netherlands– Quattro; delicious food and amazing service. The pizzas are good as are the pasta dishes.
- Krakow, Poland-Pizzeria Cyklop; pizza that you watch being made and a tasty pumpkin soup (seasonal) too.
- Krakow, Poland- Trattoria Prima; excellent fresh pasta in a cozy setting
- Lucca, Italy- Ristorante Giglio; fresh pasta with a great rabbit ragu
- Lucerne, Switzerland- Da Ernesto; tasty pizzas and delicious risottos
- Luxembourg City, Luxembourg- Bottega Mi & Ti; Wonderful pastas
- Milan, Italy- Fabbrica Pizzeria– wonderful wood fired pizzas and calzones; generous salads too
- Milan, Italy- Pizzeria Maruzzella; a classic neighborhood restaurant with delicious food to match
- Mons, Belgium– Belvedere Bis; Thin but chewy crusted pizzas right in our neighborhood. And they deliver!
- Mons, Belgium- La Primavera Don Giovanni; outstanding wood fired pizzas
- Mons, Belgium- Pizzarela; good pastas and pizzas eaten right on the Grand Place
- Munich, Germany– Berni’s Nudelbrett; good pizza and salads and very child friendly
- Northampton, MA, USA– Spoleto Restaurant; the best mojitos—and the food is good too
- Orvieto, Italy- L’Altro Vissani; Duck ragu served over silky smooth gnocchi
- Portland, ME, USA– The Flatbread Company; creative and tasty pizza with local micro brews
- Prague, Czech Republic- Pizzeria Canzone; diners have a front row view of the pizza ovens
- Siena, Italy– La Taverna Del Capitano; fresh pasta with rabbit ragu
- Siena, Italy- Ristorante il Bondo; silky smooth gnocchi with truffle cream sauce. Yum!
- Sofia, Bulgaria– Pizza Palace; the name says it all
- Tirana, Albania– Vila Logoreci; good pasta, very good seafood served in nice outdoor courtyard
- Venice, Italy- Alla Palazzina; house made pasta with duck ragu is wonderful
- Verona, Italy- Casa Mazzanti Cafe; wonderful fresh pastas including gnocchi with gorgonzola and pears
- Viterbo, Italy- Pizzeria Il Portico; fire oven pizza and a freakish number of beers on tap in a very child friendly environment.
- Warsaw, Poland, La Dolce Vita; pizza and local specialities, the chanterelle mushroom periogis are so good.
- Zurich, Switzerland, Vallocaia; House made pastas and an amazing buffalo mozzarella salad. Yum!
- Baosici, Montenegro, Papagaj; water views with food to match. The seafood risotto was great.
- Budva, Montenegro-Mozart Restaurant; oddly named restaurant serving delicious pasta. I had the salmon pasta and loved every bite.
- Budva, Montenegro- Kibiba Kenz; tiny restaurant tucked into an alley in the old city. Simple grilled meats and fish with very drinkable house wine.
- Sveti Stefan, Montenegro – Olive Tree Restaurant; Location, location, location with great food too!
- Amherst, MA, USA- Bueno y Sano; huge burritos stuffed with everything good
- Kaiserslautern, Germany– Cantina Mexicana; the best Mexican food I’ve had in Europe. Its proximity to Ramstein AFB means they cater to an American clientele.
- Norfolk, VA, USA- Luna Maya; great martinis and flavorful burritos
- Northampton, MA USA– La Veracruzana; Great fajitas
- Tivoli, NY, USA- Santa Fe; loud environment with great food
- Alexandria, VA, USA– John Strongbow’s Tavern;A fun Medieval tavern serving interesting period food. Most dishes come in two sizes and the beer list is extensive.
- Chilham, United Kingdom- The Woolpack Inn; pub grub including meat pies and fish and chips
- Mons, Belgium- Citizen Fox- great burgers with fun topping combinations
- Northampton, MA, USA– Northampton Brewery; good pub food and even better beer
- Nottingham, United Kingdom– Crafty Crow; Fun menu and extensive beer selection.
- Arlon, Belgium,
- Mons, Belgium, Henri Sandwicherie; In the heart of Grand Place, amazing baguettes stuffed with interesting fillings.
- South Hadley, MA, USA– Tailgate Picnic; their Orchard Sandwich is my favorite
- Bergen, Norway– Bryggeloftete & Stuene, the freshest hearty fish stew ever served in a bread bowl
- Copenhagen, Denmark– Europa 1989; a tasty salad and a cool glass of white wine on their patio
- Camden, ME, USA- The Waterfront Restaurant; outdoor dining on their patio overlooking the harbor makes already good food taste even better
- Baltimore, MD, USA– Phillips Seafood; Crab. Crab with a view. No need to say more.
- Kotor, Montenegro– Scorpio; simply prepared fresh fish
- Mundal, Norway– Hotel Mundal; unbelievably fresh and flavorful fish
- Newport News, VA, USA– The Crab Shack on the James; not fancy but fun with great steamed crabs when they are in season
- Rockport, ME, USA- Graffam Brothers Seafood Shack; Unpretentious but honestly awesome fresh fried seafood. The haddock is good as are the shrimp and scallops. Eat at one of their tables or take it down the street and dine overlooking the harbor.
- Tirana, Albania– Fiore; very good fresh seafood; seafood risotto or seafood linguine are always good
- Dresden, Germany– Tapas Barcelona; surprisingly yummy tapas in Germany. Varied and extensive menu
- Madrid, Spain– Cafe & Tapas; casual and inexpensive tapas
- Madrid, Spain– La Paella; the name says it all
- Madrid, Spain–Margerit; tapas in Plaza Mayor
- Toledo, Spain– Cervecería Restaurante Gambrinus; get the eggplant with honey and sesame, you won’t regret it.
- Alexandria, VA, USA- Casablanca; great food where eating with your fingers is encouraged
- Cardiff, Wales- Bosphorus Turkish Restaurant; tasty dishes, the lamb is really good with a great view
- Istanbul, Turkey– Sarnic; good food served in an old cistern
- Istanbul, Turkey– Matbah; Ottoman dining with views of the mosques
- Mons, Belgium– La Petite Couscoussiere; Amazing meat and vegetable dishes served over couscous right off of the Grand Place. They deliver too.
- Norfolk, VA, USA– Azar’s Market & Cafe; hummus and pitas to die for
- Paris, France- A Ajami; Lebanese food that is the best I’ve ever had
- Stuttgart, Germany- Nirvan; Fork tender kabobs and tasty stuffed grape leaves