SPICY PEAR POACHED CHICKEN w/ CHUNKY APPLE-PEAR SAUCE
For the sauce:
1 sweet red apple, peeled, cored and sliced
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole peppercorns
For the chicken:
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup pear juice
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- In a small saucepan, combine the apples, pears, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns. Add 1/4 cup of water.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the mixture is hot and the fruit cooks down. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Combine the oregano, paprika, ground cinnamon, pepper, and salt in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the spice mixture and set aside on a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken to the pan and cook until it is browned, approximately 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue to cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. When it is hot, add the onions and cook until soft and fragrant, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the pear juice to the pan and stir to removed any browned bits that have stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Add in the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Return the chicken to the pan and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through, an additional 5-8 minutes. At this point you can cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and allow the chicken to sit for up to one hour.
- When you are ready to serve, place one chicken breast on each plate. Remove the cinnamon stick and peppercorns from the apple-pear sauce and divide the mixture evenly over the top of each chicken breast.