It doesn’t get much easier than a recipe with only four ingredients. These golden toasts from King Arthur Flour taste like a savory and earthy biscotti. I love them since they are fast and easy to make. They are good on their own but absolutely delicious when served along side a hearty tomato soup, corn and vegetable chowder or pumpkin soup. Talk about the ultimate in comfort food.
1 pinch saffron threads soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm water
2 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
- Soak the saffron threads in the water for 10-15 minutes to soften them for baking. Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease a 9 inch x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together until light in color, thickened, and foamy.
- Stir in the saffron and water. Lightly sprinkle the flour over the surface of the mixture and fold it in gently. The mix will be thick and sponge-like, full of air and deep yellow in color.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 32 minutes. The edges will be well browned and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out onto a cutting board and use a sharp serrated knife to slice the bread into 1/2 inch slices. Lay each slice on a baking sheet making sure that the cut sides are facing up (and down).
- Place the pan under the broiler until the toasts begin to darken at the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, carefully flip each slice over and broil the reverse side as well.
- Allow the toasts to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 weeks.
Yield: 16-18 slices